18 April 2015

Developer slapped with almost million-ringgit fine for felling 30-year-old trees in Malacca

  18 April 2015


MALACCA, April 18 — A property development company will face a fine of RM966,000 for cutting down 19 trees of more than 30 years at Melaka Raya last month.

Malacca Historical City Council (MBMB) secretary Mohd Derus Che Mat said the company was also ordered to replant the trees within two weeks starting yesterday.

“Yesterday, we were informed that the company had hired contractor to replant all the trees that were cut down at the designated spots and we hope that this will not recur.

“The state government is serious about this because Malacca is a green technology city,” he told reporters after the ‘Our Forest’ programme held in conjunction with Malacca’s 12th anniversary as historical city here, today.

Previously, Bernama reported that Chief Minister Datuk Seri Idris Haron was furious about the arbitrary action and said that the company had acted in self-interest without appreciating the state government’s vision of a Malacca Green Technology City.

The trees, of the palm and Eugenia papillose varieties, were felled on March 25 between 10.30am and 6pm, with the use of a skylift.

In another development, Mohd Derus said MBMB allocated about RM7 million for maintaining and planting trees this year.

He said a total of 120,000 trees have been planted across the state for the past 10 years. — Bernama

- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/developer-slapped-with-almost-million-ringgit-fine-for-felling-30-year-old#sthash.sdBwAcn0.dpuf
logoblog

Thanks for reading Developer slapped with almost million-ringgit fine for felling 30-year-old trees in Malacca

Previous
« Prev Post

No comments:

Post a Comment